It is a sector where the incorrect handling of a product during its transport, the minimum failure in the supply chain, in the temperature calibration or accidental damage can contaminate and render useless the merchandise, leading to considerable economic losses.
To avoid this, it is necessary to prevent the damage of a product during its storage and transport, as well as to avoid its contamination in the supply chain. Plastic pallets for the pharmaceutical industry are the ideal solution to achieve our goal. Above all, in a context like the current one, with the Covid-19, demands the highest levels of hygiene and cleanliness to guarantee health within companies and in people in general. From Naeco, previously Nortpalet, we are going to explore this challenge.
Logistics challenges of the pharmaceutical industry
Supply chain management in the pharmaceutical industry is very complex. It requires specialized professionals and adequate logistics solutions to handle products safely. So, we minimize the risks in the transport, distribution and storage of the material. These are some of the challenges that the sector faces:
- To prevent contamination in the supply chain. When handling the goods, there is a risk of pouring liquids, breaking containers or leaking contaminating elements that destroy the effectiveness of the drugs.
- Avoid exposure to bacteriological sources. The use of wooden pallets for transport and storage in refrigerated environments favors the appearance of fungi and bacteria. The wood absorbs the humidity generated by the condensation of the refrigerated space. This causes bacteria and residues to filter in, which adulterate and spoil the product.
- Keep pharmaceuticals products intact during the movements. Logistics would not be a challenge if it did not involve movement. Maintaining the quality of products throughout the supply chain is essential.
- To prevent shortages due to Covid-19. The health crisis caused by the coronavirus worries the pharmaceutical industry. Above all, in terms of supplying drugs and medical supplies.
- To remove human errors during product handling. Relying on human labor means increasing the chances of error at different stages of the supply chain and product handling. Direct contact with drugs can lead to other problems, such as deliberately or accidentally adulterating the merchandise.
- Do not discard damaged pallets. Another of the great challenges of the pharmaceutical sector is the management of pallets, the pallets are the ones in charge oftransport from the factory to the point of sale and storage.
- To maintain a 100% aseptic space. Always ensure the highest hygiene conditions throughout the supply chain process and within clean rooms.
Measures to control the logistics problems of the pharmaceutical sector
The pharmaceutical industry faces many logistical challenges. To overcome them, it must rely on strategies, technologies and solutions capable of minimizing the risks of contamination and guaranteeing the delivery of products in perfect condition. These are some of the measures that must be applied:
- The use of Automated Storage and Recovery Systems. They reduce the need for human manipulation, eliminating possible failures or errors that may occur if we depend too much on direct contact between person and product.
- Plastic pallets for transport, distribution and storage of products. Betting on plastic pallets to transport pharmaceutical products prevents contamination by bacterial fungi, because these pallets are waterproof. They prevent toxic substances from entering, as well as water, fungi and other microorganisms. Hygienic pallets are logistics solutions specially designed for clean and aseptic rooms, guaranteeing maximum safety, neatness and cleanliness. Its durability, resistance and efficiency in long distance shipments are other advantages.
- Use recyclable, reusable and repairable pallets. The reuse of pallets reduces costs and prevents their final destination from being the landfill. It also facilitates the creation of a reverse supply chain based on the repair and recycling of pallets, thereby protecting the environment from toxic and polluting substances.
- Implement contingency and collaboration plans. With the cooperation of public entities, distributors and companies, it is also ensured that the supply chain always works in a coordinated and efficient way.
Pharmaceutical companies can optimize processes, minimize any logistics problem that may appear in the supply chain and successfully face any current and future challenge in the sector. They should only implement the measures described and use the help of specific plastic pallets for this industry, such as the LOGIC, CLEAN or BASIC models from Nortpalet.