To find out what is being done regarding this and other issues, from Naeco we are going to show some of the R&D advances that are being developed, novelties that are being presented from the bottling industry to improve returnable glass and plastic containers in addition to expose the most effective logistics solutions that currently exist on the market to ensure the protection of bottles during their transport and throughout the entire supply chain.
Investment in R&D: key factor for the growth and improvement of the bottling sector
Bottle production companies are investing heavily in R&D activities to develop new and innovative projects. These are some examples:
- Custom bottling machines. Bottle manufacturing companies are producing more customized bottling machinery to target specific customer groups (distributors, traders, wholesalers etc) with the goal of increasing efficiency.
- Safer PET packaging design. In some countries, new formats of PET (polyethylene terephthalate) plastic bottles are being designed, which stand out for being more flexible and aseptic to guarantee 100% food safety. To achieve this, they invest in dry preform sterilization systems. Thanks to this aseptic system, drinks are protected from the growth of microorganisms and from alterations caused by light, oxygen, and temperature.
Logistics solutions and sustainable bottling alternatives
The bottling sector, like the rest of the industrial sectors, has acquired a firm commitment to sustainability in recent years. A key aspect that companies are promoting to reduce environmental impact and with the aim of living on a much more sustainable planet.
Hence, large companies that produce bottled waters such as Nestlé, among others, are strongly committed to processes based on the circular economy or allocate a large part of their resources to renewing packaging by bottles made from recycled materials.
The main objective of this change is to promote this system, include it in production strategies and ensure that by 2025 the use of recycled plastic has been substantially increased until the total elimination of polluting and harmful waste is achieved. To comply with the proposed sustainability plan, the bottling companies are working on different projects focused on some innovative ideas:
- Get each bottle to have its own DNA. The aim of this is to calculate the carbon footprint produced by all packaging and move towards recyclable and eco-design models.
- 100% recyclable and reusable bottles. The aim is to promote the manufacture and use of 100% recyclable plastic packaging to minimize environmental impact. In this way, it will gradually be replaced and gradually passed from a linear model to a circular one.
- Bottles without labels. The idea is to create bottles that contain your logo engraved on the container and eliminate the use of labels. It is an innovative, revolutionary, and sustainable design that gives all the prominence to water and that in the near future will become generalized due to the growing impulse of electronic commerce and the use of the barcode. Labelling will not be necessary.
- Recycled plastic pallets to transport and store bottles. They are a sustainable and safe logistics solution that guarantees a safe, fast, and efficient transfer and storage of the product to its destination. In addition to protecting the environment, they are very resistant, stable, hygienic elements, and with a high capacity to withstand heavy weights. Undoubtedly, plastic pallets are fundamental assets that, in addition to adding value and facilitating hygiene by preventing the formation of bacterial foci, optimize logistics work in bottling companies. Our EXPERT 1210-O6 model is a recycled plastic pallet that has been specially designed for the bottling and beverage industry. Mass storage is very common in this sector and thanks to its design and resistance, this pallet allows mass storage at 4 heights, achieving significant space savings.
Therefore, if your bottling company is also committed to sustainability and compliance with the safety and hygiene regulations imposed by the health authorities, at Naeco we have pallets from the EXPERT range, specially designed to meet the needs of the sector.